AOL rejecting mail from IP's w/o reverse DNS ?

Greg Maxwell gmaxwell at martin.fl.us
Wed Dec 3 16:39:52 UTC 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 Michael.Dillon at radianz.com wrote:

[snip]
> Peering relationships work for BGP (lots of rules) and they worked
> for USENET (not many rules). Why can't the same principles be applied
> to email or IM services?

Where is NickC when you need him... this sounds like something out of his
layer4 nap idea...

Seriously, do we really need SMTP peering agreements?  I don't know of too
many places that are UUCPing their email... SMTP traffic already crosses
(BGP) peering agreement controlled links. If putting contractional
obligations there fails to work why should we believe some new and less
understood system would be any more effective?