AOL rejecting mail from IP's w/o reverse DNS ?

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Wed Dec 3 15:42:27 UTC 2003

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Randy Bush wrote:

> you're right.  it will be.  people will have to clean up their
> in-addr.arpa.  or am i missing some reason they can't, other
> than laziness?

See, this is the war I didn't want to start again. Unless I'm thinking of a
discussion on a different list -- I was sure in the whole Verizon "spam
measures hurting other servers" thread, the whole blocking w/o IN PTR
records had come up, with people saying they were on hosting where they
couldn't change PTR records, and the clients who couldn't get mail from
small offices with Exchange servers on DSL lines where the ISP hadn't
configured reverse DNS . Then there was the comment on how reverse DNS was
meaningless, and did you still run identd ?

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong list.

If AOL does it, in a way the question is moot. At least those of us who DO
know how to configure DNS can get some clients from the ones who don't.