DS-3 test equipment

Rick Ernst erond at legendz.com
Tue Dec 2 21:37:18 UTC 2003

I've searched the archives and find some hits on DS-1 test gear, but I'm
looking for opinions/experience with DS-3 test gear.

We've started bringing up more DS-3 circuits, both directly to customers and
also for Frame/ATM/DSL aggregation.  Telco used to do all provisioning and
testing for us, but we are looking to be able to more troubleshooting
in-house.

Any recommended gear for basic functional testing (clock, loop, insert
patterns and errors)?  It would be nice if the test gear could do T-1 testing, too.

I'm seeing a fair number of hits on eBay for TTC/Acterna gear, but I don't
know what I'm looking at/for.  I've done BERT testing many lifetimes ago, but
don't have any current knowledge/experience.

Thanks,
Rick