incorrect spam setups cause spool messes on forwarders

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Dec 2 19:30:13 UTC 2003

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 20:05:47 +0100, Alexander Bochmann <bochmann at FreiNet.de>  said:

> I agree that much of the anti-spam stuff out there
> is kludgy at best, and often harmful to other users,
> but let's not forget that it's the spammers who make
> all this necessary...

Today's stupid spammer trick:

The other day, I posted something in reply to Stephen Wilcox, with a cc: to
this list.  Less than 10 minutes later, I got 4 notes from a site saying that
my posting (which still had nanog and wilcox referenced) had tripped a content
sensitivity filter.  Double checking my outbox, I'd only posted one thing that
had both wilcox and nanog in the headers for at least a month.  Despite all
this, the site admin in question fished out the actual note from their
quarantine, and discovered that it was spam for some enhancement product.

The only conclusion we could come up with is that somebody on the NANOG list is
infected with some sort of malware that waits for mail to arrive and then uses
its headers to generate  a joe-job spam, and that 4 spams had gone off to the
site that generated the notes back to me.

Forget the baseball bat, this one deserves a lead pipe... :)