APRICOT 2004 : Speakers for Peering and Internet Exchange Track

William B. Norton wbn at equinix.com
Tue Dec 2 19:12:25 UTC 2003

Hi all -

You may have heard that there will be a new one-day track on Peering and
Internet Exchanges at the upcoming APRICOT in Kuala Lumpur in February. I'd
like to describe the track in brief and solicit a few more Peering
Coordinators / Network Architects / Network Engineers as speakers for the
track. (See http://www.apricot2004.net/ for information on the broader
APRICOT 2004 conference).

This Peering and Internet Exchange Track is intended to facilitate regional
ISP Peering by providing a forum for Peering Coordinators to meet each
other and share information about Asia Pacific peering. We will facilitate
this with several panels, each one focused on peering in a particular
country. If you are a Peering Coordinator with experience peering in the AP
Region, please send me an e-mail answering the questions below. I will use
this information to match panelists together into panels focused on certain
AP countries.

Thanks!

Bill

--------------------------- Speaker Questionnaire
------------------------------------
If you are able and willing to speak at the Feb 2004 APRICOT Peering and
Internet Exchange Track, please fill out the following form and e-mail to
William B. Norton at wbn at umich.edu:

Name: __________________
Title: ___________________
Company: _______________ AS # _________________
In what country do you live? _________________
Email Address: __________________

We will select a set of panelists based on the answers to the questions below:
1) In what countries do you peer?

2) In which AP Country do you have peering experiences that you can share
with the audience?

3) Answer as many of the questions below as applicable, as you would
present as part of your presentation

a) We are looking for speakers that have found interesting or unique
country peering ecosystem characteristics. Have you uncovered any
unexpected or interesting/unique peering ecosystem characteristics in any
of the countries where you peer? Please give a few examples.

b) We are also looking for unusual or unexpected traffic patterns. For
example, a large amount of Japan traffic is ultimately destined to and from
Brazil! Identifying and explaining this type of inter-country traffic would
be a good set of data to launch a presentation. Do you have any of this
type of data that you can share?

c) What are the problems and challenges that you face as you build peering
infrastructure into various AP countries?

d) If other Peering Coordinators follow your footsteps into regions in
which you now peer, what would you tell them:
· is information that you would have liked to have had?
· Are unexpected problems that you faced?

e) What are the emerging trends that you see in the peering ecosystems in
which you operate (transit and transport prices going up or down and the
implications as you see them).

/*
   William B. Norton <wbn at equinix.com>                   650.315.8635
   Co-Founder and Chief Technical Liaison                        Equinix, Inc.
*/