incorrect spam setups cause spool messes on forwarders

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at outblaze.com
Tue Dec 2 14:37:06 UTC 2003

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu  writes on 12/2/2003 9:32 AM:
> On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 19:23:41 +0800, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at outblaze.com>  said:
>

>>What they are trying to do is to connect back to email.com's MXs and ensure
>>that the user <sgswretyshsdhtest at email.com> who is trying to send them mail
>>really does exist, and is not just a figment of some spambot's imagination.
>

> And they tell that how, exactly, given that many sites do NOT allow VRFY or EXPN?

MAIL FROM: RCPT TO: QUIT: is precisely what they are doing.

Nobody except spammers / dictionary attackers seem to VRFY these days
for this sort of stuff.  In fact grepping your logs for VRFY is often a
reliable sign of a dictionary attack on your machines.

> I suppose they could do a MAIL FROM/RCPT TO pair, look at the result, and
> QUIT instead of DATA.  Of course, that would be silly, because if it ever ran
> into another site that tried the same thing, that site would try to call back
> and do a MAIL FROM/RCPT TO...

MAIL FROM: <> typically, or from a sender that does not return callbacks
to it ... so no danger of loops getting set up. Thank God for small
mercies, I guess.

	srs

--
srs (postmaster|suresh)@outblaze.com // gpg : EDEDEFB9
manager, outblaze.com security and antispam operations