incorrect spam setups cause spool messes on forwarders

Michael Lewinski mike at rockynet.com
Mon Dec 1 19:52:28 UTC 2003

On Dec 1, 2003, at 11:10 AM, Randy Bush wrote:

> is the following a general problem, or just one i am seeing?
>
> note 2821 says
>
>       450 Requested mail action not taken: mailbox unavailable
>          (e.g., mailbox busy)
>       550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable
>          (e.g., mailbox not found, no access, or command rejected
>          for policy reasons)

FWIW, there are now fake smtp tarpits out there that behave this way
(4xx deferrals of suspected spam).

http://www.benzedrine.cx/relaydb.html

The idea is to "punish" spammers by filling up their queues, although
honestly I don't know of any spammers who actually *have* queues. They
just borrow other people's of course. I'm not sold on the wisdom of
this course.