incorrect spam setups cause spool messes on forwarders

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Dec 1 19:16:48 UTC 2003

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 11:10:16AM -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
> > I think he's saying that they were unable to perform the
> > validation hence the 450.  If the validation was successful,
> > they'd return a 200 series code, if it was unsuccessful, they
> > would return a 500 series code.
>
> nice words, but crap.  due to needs to spool mail for sites in
> countries with very poor connectivity, mail spool time here is
> quite long.  if verizon and others seem unable to decide in weeks,
> why should i pay the penalty?

	you should likely queue those other countries on
a seperate machine dedicated to that purpose.  this way one
user/host site doesn't unduly cause significant impact to other
sites/users.

it's interesting you view the interpertation (which at least one
other person views as correct) as "crap".  this behaviour does
seem to fit strict interpretation of the rfc in question.

> but, i guess the problem is easily solved with exim config.  i have
> set it so that if it can not deliver to verizon in say one hour, it
> dumps the mail.
>
>     verizon.net        *           F,1h,5m
>
> life is simple, except for verizon users i guess.

	this is the ability of a single host operator to make
their own local policy decisions.  you've both done what
you feel is appropriate.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net