What do you want your ISP to block today?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Aug 31 06:57:36 UTC 2003

> Given the Lion worm that hit Linux boxes, and the fact there's apparently
> a known remote-root (since fixed) for Apple's OSX, what operating systems
> would you consider "acceptable"?

This is an old argument and it just doesn't get any better with time.

There is a fundamental difference between BUGS which all software has
and Micr0$0ft's level of engineered-in vulnerabilities and wanton
disregard for security in the name of features.  If you cannot see
that many of the exploited vulnerabilities in Micr0$0ft were DESIGNED
into the software instead of accidental bugs, I can't help you.  This
is not to say that Micr0$0ft has not had more than their fair share
of BUGS which created vulnerabilities as well.

BTW, how big was the patch for OSX's remote root?  (less than 2MB)
How big was the patch for Lion?  (don't have that number handy, but I
remember
it being relatively small)
When was the last time you installed a Micr0$0ft security fix that was
less than 5MB? (I have yet to see one)

Shall we also compare the realtive timetables between vulnerability
awareness
and general patch availablility?

Owen