What do you want your ISP to block today?

Gerardo Gregory ggregory at affinitas.net
Sun Aug 31 00:50:17 UTC 2003

Well I understand why an ISP will filter these.

But those things you mentioned are not software vendor vulnerabilities, or
vulnerabilities of some proprietary protocol used only by desktop systems.

Also the ISP will filter anything it feels it is a threat to it's own
systems as that is where their own responsibility lies, and if they dont
protect these they dont make any money.

Because an ISP chooses to filter IANA reserved addresses (I am to argue that
all do not perform this type of filtering, I would think that applying
prefix lists, and null routes is what an ISP would do...not filter on source
address...I have received packets at my edge with a IANA reserved address as
the source), or turn off IP directed broadcasts, does not compare to
applying filters every single time some vendor releases faulty code, or
their code is exploited.  These exploits affect the end user nodes of the
ISP's customer, not the ISP itself (in a grand scale).  The ISP is a
business.

G.

Mark Borchers writes:

> [...]

Gerardo A. Gregory
Manager Network Administration and Security
402-970-1463 (Direct)
402-850-4008 (Cell)
Affinitas - Latin for "Relationship"
Helping Businesses Acquire, Retain, and Cultivate
Customers
Visit us at http://www.affinitas.net