What do you want your ISP to block today?

Mark Borchers mborchers at igillc.com
Sat Aug 30 23:51:10 UTC 2003

That's a popular sentiment which derives its facade of reasonableness
from the notion that ISP's ought to provide unencumbered pipes to the
Internet core.  However, it doesn't bear close scrutiny.

Would you say that ISP's should not filter spoofed source addresses?
That they should turn off "no ip directed broadcast"?  Of course not,
because such traffic is clearly pathological with no redeeming social
value.

The tough part for the ISP is to decide what other traffic types are
absolutely illegitimate and should therefore be subject to being
Verboten on the net.