On the back of other 'security' posts....

cowie at buda.renesys.com cowie at buda.renesys.com
Sat Aug 30 11:21:13 UTC 2003

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 08:17:39PM +1000, Matthew Sullivan wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> On the back of the latest round of security related posts, anyone notice
> the 50% packet loss (as reported to me) across the USA -> NZ links
> around lunchtime (GMT+10) today?

Yep, easily .. we saw big routing problems for that /19 and a lot
of innocent bystanders, in two waves, correlated across most sources.

First signs of trouble at 23:12 GMT.  Then long periods of unreachability,
from roughly 23:15-23:42 GMT and 01:26-02:10 GMT (the second one less
well-correlated; routes were still available from some of our peers).
Routes were fully restored globally by 02:12 GMT, presumably after the
upstream rate limiting kicked in.

If anyone has mrtg plots for the affected links, I'd sure like to see 'em.

James Cowie
Renesys Corporation
cowie at renesys.com