Fun new policy at AOL

Ray Wong rayw at rayw.net
Sat Aug 30 07:21:50 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 04:04:42PM -0400, Vivien M. wrote:
> You seem to be misunderstanding the issue. Let's say you work at
> someplace.edu. You want to send mail from home. With the SPF-type schemes
> being discussed, your mail MUST come from someplace.edu's server.
>
> If someplace.edu won't set up an SMTP AUTH relay, what do you do? Your
> dialup account will let you use the dialup ISP's mail server... But your
> mail will get bounced because it's not something from someplace.edu.

Did I miss the obvious?  This is not a technical issue.  You have presented
a case where one lacks the (free) resources needed to perform one's job.
This is something you take up with your manager.  "I could easily do
this part during my off hours, it just requires the mail server admin
to setup (free) SMTP AUTH s/w to limit access to us employees."
If not, the company policy is not to do work during off-hours.  It can
wait until you get in the next business day.  (Note that policy here is
defined by the actual behavior, not the statement of policy, which can be
wrong)

> Hence, if no SMTP AUTH relay, you're screwed.

Sure.  And if they throw the (power) circuit breakers at work, none of my
computers work (for long) either.  That's not a limitation of the grid.

--

Ray Wong
rayw at rayw.net