What do you want your ISP to block today?

Rob Thomas robt at cymru.com
Sat Aug 30 03:06:39 UTC 2003

Hi, NANOGers.

] > He added that ISPs have the view and ability to prevent en-masse
] > attacks. "All these attacks traverse their networks before they reach
] > you and me. If they would simply stop attack traffic that has been
] > identified and accepted as such, we'd all sleep better," Cooper said.

Oh, good gravy!  I have a news flash for all of you "security experts"
out there:  The Internet is not one, big, coordinated firewall with a
handy GUI, waiting for you to provide the filtering rules.  How many
of you "experts" regularly sniff OC-48 and OC-192 backbones for all
those naughty packets?  Do you really want ISPs to filter the mother
of all ports-of-pain, TCP 80?

Filter at the *EDGE* folks.  You own your own networks; use and manage
them responsibly.  If you need assistance, ASK.  If you can't take on
the task, purchase bandwidth from providers who sell (yes, CHARGE YOU
MONEY) a filtering service.

Thanks,
Rob.
--