dry pair

Wayne nanog at wgustavus.com
Sat Aug 30 01:52:29 UTC 2003

Austad, Jay wrote:

> Does anyone know to go about getting Qwest or a CLEC to patch through a dry
> pair between two buildings connected to the same CO?
>
> When I called to order one, no one knew what I was talking about.
>
> -jay

Most of the other responses have covered the various terms to try when
ordering this type of ckt.  All I can say is good luck.  I did this back
in 1994 with some HDSL modems from Pairgain and it worked like a charm.
  (btw, I got the 2 ckts I needed for the connection by ordering 2
"alarm ckts" and then rewiring the separate jacks into a single jack for
the modem)

However, this was before the days of mass DSL deployment and CLECs.  The
local loop is managed a little tighter these days and ILECs are a lot
less willing to sell this type of service.  As someone else said, even
if you can get a sales rep to sell it to you, getting it repaired when
it fails will be quite a challenge.  Seems like business DSL would be
less headache in the long run.

--
Wayne Gustavus