Fun new policy at AOL

JC Dill nanog at vo.cnchost.com
Fri Aug 29 16:06:57 UTC 2003

At 08:37 AM 8/29/2003, Jack Bates wrote:

>Michel Py wrote:
>
>>If ISPs don't want people to run SMTP servers on their DSL line
>>theyshould provide a top-notch smarthost, which most don't.
>
>The one's that don't provide a top-notch smarthost usually don't handle
>abuse complaints either. Just what do they do for their customers? I'm curious.

They provide a low priced connection between the customer's location and a
router connected to the Internet.

The biggest problem is that to most customers, there's not a lot of obvious
difference between a poorly supported cheap DSL line from ISP A and a well
supported more expensive DSL line from ISP B.  So they don't see the point
in paying anything more than the rock-bottom-lowest-price for DSL
service.  The fact that they get what they pay for is overlooked.

jc