Hey, QWEST clean up your network

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Fri Aug 29 03:51:57 UTC 2003

> The other thing I learned from QWEST IP-NOC was that it seems
> managment decided *NOT TO* filter packets related to this worm
> issue at the edge......

an isp of any non-trivial size, has one or more customers who
are either in the security business or in security research.
also ip behavior business or research.  or ...

the job of isps is to deliver packets, not to alter or drop them.
if a custumer wishes there traffic shaped, dropped, mangled, ...
at the edge, that's a nice [sellable] extra service.

randy, who is right now trying to chase down what and why an
       upstream has done to stop some traffic i was measuring,
       harumph!