Fun new policy at AOL

Nathan J. Mehl memory-nanog at blank.org
Thu Aug 28 23:02:06 UTC 2003

In the immortal words of Matthew Crocker (matthew at crocker.com):

> Shouldn't customers that purchase IP services from an ISP use the ISPs
> mail server as a smart host for outbound mail?

Given the way that most ISP "shared resource" machines (including but
hardly limited to DNS caching/recursive resolves, NNTP servers, web
caches, and SMTP smarthosts) are administered, the answer to that
question is "Only if they don't actually care if that mail is ever
delivered."

-n

"For years, I've been predicting that artists, writers, and filmmakers would
be paid by the government not to produce work, just like farmers are paid not
to grow food.  Or that they'd be paid to make their work, but would then be
forced to store it in a silo unshown or unread.  But now I see I was a little
off in my prediction. The Internet is that silo."       (--Slotcar Hatebreath)