Fun new policy at AOL

Susan Zeigler susan at arcana.manske.net
Thu Aug 28 20:48:55 UTC 2003

Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 02:34 AM 8/28/2003 -0500, Susan Zeigler wrote:
>
> >WTF. This IP is NOT dynamic. The client has had it for about two years.
>
> What is the IP address they are rejecting ?
>
> >  Unless AOL is downloading the
> >entire routing pools from all ISPs on a daily basis, how do they know
> >which IPs are dynamic and which are static;)
>
> What would BGP tables tell you about internal routing and DNS ?
>
>          ---Mike
> Mike Tancsa,                                      tel +1 519 651 3400
> Sentex Communications,                            mike at sentex.net
> Providing Internet since 1994                    www.sentex.net
> Cambridge, Ontario Canada                         www.sentex.net/mike

It's 216.161.123.79

IP does match forward and reverse.

As a few others have mentioned, the mail server behind their firewall is
handling outbound mail only. It pops their inbound mail from another
source. We've chosen this solution due to how their membership database
is integrated with the address books in their Exchange server and due to
the limitations that their mail service provider has put on them--not to
mention the
fact that their mail service provider has been unstable in the past for
sending. Internet service provided is great, they just can't do mail
well.

I've got an external server I can relay through if need be--and since
their IP _IS_ static, it's not really a problem. It just ticks me off
because I know there are a lot of others who will be in this boat.

-Susan
--
Susan Zeigler             |      Technical Services
szeigler at spindustry.com   |      Spindustry Systems

"You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Spindustry Systems, Inc.
DES MOINES / CHICAGO / INDIANAPOLIS / DENVER

confidential information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or
distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the
original message including any attachments.