Fun new policy at AOL

Roland Perry nanog at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Aug 28 19:06:23 UTC 2003

In article <86792543-D982-11D7-828E-000A956885D4 at crocker.com>, Matthew
Crocker <matthew at crocker.com> writes

>If your ISP ... <does a bad thing> ... find another one.

Great in theory, but the market is imperfect. Even if money (and the
loss you'd incur from terminating your current ISP early) isn't the main
issue. Many countries, even those with de-regulated comms markets, don't
have a very wide choice. Ask for something a bit out of the ordinary
(like a dial-up account with static IP), and the choice is reduced even
further.

That's why we must encourage all ISPSs to be good guys, because we don't
want Government Regulators setting standards in these areas, do we?

--
Roland Perry