GLBX ICMP rate limiting (was RE: Tier-1 without their own backbone?)

Robert Boyle robert at tellurian.com
Thu Aug 28 17:02:03 UTC 2003

At 12:39 PM 8/28/2003, you wrote:
> > Along these lines, how does this limiting affect akamai or other 'ping for
> > distance' type localization services? I'd think their data would get
> > somewhat skewed, right?
>
>         Perhaps they'll come up with a more advanced system of
>monitoring?
>
>         probally the best way to do that is to track the download speed
>either with cookies (with subnet info) or by subnet only to determine
>the best localization.
>
>         With an imperfect system of tracking localization, you will
>get imperfect results.

I'm not sure about other implementations, but our Akamai boxes in our
datacenter receive all traffic requests which originate from our address
space as predefined with Akamai. I believe they also somehow factor in
address space announcements originated via our AS as well since they asked
for our AS when we originally started working with them.

-Robert

http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Good will, like a good name, is got by many actions, and lost by one." -
Francis Jeffrey