Cross-country shipping of large network/computer gear?

N. Richard Solis nrsolis at aol.net
Thu Aug 28 16:02:41 UTC 2003

I've only shipped a few (moderately) heavy things on short notice in my
career.  Almost all of those involved FedEx because it was simple and
hassle-free.  If we're talking about shipping palettes of equipment then
I agree with the  use of air cargo.  It wasn't entirely clear from the
first post that a few palette's worth of equipment was what was being
shipped.

BTW, counter-to-counter service isn't always handled as luggage.  In a
few cases the package is hand-carried over to the cargo terminal where
it's put on the next flight out.  Then it's held for you at the
destination, NOT put out on the conveyor belt.

Most air cargo firms are set up to deal with companies that ship
products as a part of their daily business.  They usually dont do a
whole lot of business with individual shippers.  YMMV.  I've used air,
rail, and truck.  IMHO, if you dont know a bill of lading from a hotel
bill then an air cargo company isn't where you should start.

WRT FedEx: just because your stuff got damaged, don't assume that they
break everything they touch.  There isn't a single business that I can
think of that would tolerate a 40% loss rate on anything.  FedEx could
NOT stay in business long with those kinds of numbers.  Nor could they
keep an insurance carrier.