Fun new policy at AOL

John Palmer nanog at adns.net
Thu Aug 28 15:38:28 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lesher" <wb8foz at nrk.com>
To: "nanog list" <nanog at merit.edu>
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 10:22
Subject: Re: Fun new policy at AOL

> Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
> >

> > > Shouldn't customers that purchase IP services from an ISP use the ISPs
> > > mail server as a smart host for outbound mail?
> >
> > applying that standard just how large do you have to get before
> > you "graduate" to running your own smtp server. "I'm sorry we won't accept
> > mail from you because you're not an lir?"
>
> Yea! I think the registry should run the mail server. That way,
> there's just 3 or 4 nationwide. Makes it easier for Ashcroft
> and RIAA, to boot.
>
> And we all know how well NSI does on complex things...

This brings up a more general point about the dangers of blocking
everything under the sun. When you limit yourself to just a few
chokepoints, its easier for those who would stifle communications
to shut things down.

This is a very dangerous path to take. Not that we shouldn't consider
some sort of port restrictions to stop spam, but there are undesirable
long term effects that need to be considered. Those on the dark side
will be "considering" them, you may be sure, while licking their chops.