Cross-country shipping of large network/computer gear?

David Lesher wb8foz at nrk.com
Thu Aug 28 01:49:22 UTC 2003

> Do you really mean counter to counter, or do you mean Real Air Freight
> (like going to the United Air Cargo facility behind Gate Gourmet in
> the same strip as FedEx out at IAD)?  Real Air Freight (tm) rocks my
> world.  Going into the terminal to baggage claim and trying to find
> someone to help you find your package is annoying.

Beware:

IMHE, "Real Air Freight" seldom comes with a guarantee that it
will travel on a given flight. Some time back, I REALLY REALLY
needed a 235# 20HP 480V motor moved CLE->ORD->MIA. I {well, you..}
paid United ~2X for "Priority One" and then found out 10 minutes
before its departure they'd bumped it off the ORD->MIA plane
"because we gotta bunch of mail on that 727.."...  [Note the USPS
tariff is very profitable to airlines..]

I pointed out that this was ALSO a USG shipment, and if it was not
at MIA at 1600 that day, United could deliver it to my end point,
as at that time I was leaving for South America, with motor,
on Eastern. [I was in fact going to get the motor there and
install it...]

The motor got there on time.

(I took it as checked baggage on Eastern; they could not figure
out how to charge me so it was the usual $40 flatrate per bag
for the international leg....)

In conclusion:

Air freight may well be best but be sure it's a direct flight,
and know what you are paying for.....

A host is a host from coast to coast.................wb8foz at nrk.com