Cross-country shipping of large network/computer gear?

Andy Walden andy at tigerteam.net
Thu Aug 28 01:31:58 UTC 2003

On 27 Aug 2003, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

> Andy Walden <andy at tigerteam.net> writes:
>
> Yes, but my point is that you can stack the deck in your favor by
> using a company that uses appropriate material handling devices to
> move every package if you are shipping packages that are heavy enough
> that moving them with a handtruck or by hand is possible-but-unwise.

I can agree in principal, so long as we can designate a company that will
execute proper company policy and do so *every* time. Unfortunately, for
the purpose of the general well-being of our gear, we arrive back at
generally blue collar, none-the-less, well paid, package handlers that
individually define preferences for how they feel like doing it that day.

> > C'est la vie..what can you do. Counter to counter I find is most
> > effective, but as mentioned earlier, does require some effort on the
> > sender's part.
>
> Do you really mean counter to counter, or do you mean Real Air Freight
> (like going to the United Air Cargo facility behind Gate Gourmet in
> the same strip as FedEx out at IAD)?  Real Air Freight (tm) rocks my
> world.  Going into the terminal to baggage claim and trying to find
> someone to help you find your package is annoying.

Granted, it's been awhile since I have shipped counter to counter since I
joined the dark side (vendor side), it probably was before 9/11, and
things may be different now. Please forgive any outdated experiences
represented.

andy
--
PGP Key Available at http://www.tigerteam.net/andy/pgp