Cross-country shipping of large network/computer gear?

Andy Ellifson andy at ellifson.com
Wed Aug 27 23:43:54 UTC 2003

A counter-to-counter shipment on a passenger airline is a thing of the
past (at least from my experiences going directly to the passenger
airlines).  After Sept 11 the FAA has required that passenger airlines
only accept shipments from "known shippers" (unless this has changed in
the last 14 months).  What does this mean?  You need to setup an
account with the airline (may of them will setup the account and still
be able to bill to a credit card).  You also need to become a "known
shipper" by having their courier/employee visit your location and
verify that you are a "known shipper".  Once this occurs you can do
passenger airline counter-to-counter shipments at will.  Setup time
takes 7-10 days from what I remember.

If anybody has counter-to-counter on their disaster recovery plans you
may want to get setup as a "known shipper".  I went through the process
with United's Cargo division http://www.unitedcargo.com.  I used them
as a backup to America West Airlines as I am located in Phoenix, AZ.

-Andy