Cross-country shipping of large network/computer gear?

chuck goolsbee chucklist at forest.net
Wed Aug 27 20:24:43 UTC 2003

We recently (beginning of July) acquired a small hosting company
(about 100 servers) based in New Jersey. This was a very
short-notice, literally overnight move of many servers, and
customers, from New Jersey to the west coast.

We used Airborne Express <http://www.airborne.com> to overnight ship
the "minimal downtime" machines... with the exception of their mail
server, which we brought as luggage on our return flight.

All the stuff arrived the next day, on-time, and about 99% intact, as
one server on the overnight stuff was DOA.

We picked Airborne specifically for their price... they were the
lowest bid we received for an overnight, Saturday-delivery shipper.
They performed as advertised.

The 'non-critical" equipment (racks, cabinets, spare servers, etc.)
were shipped ground, and unlike the overnight, it was beat to hell.
Go figure.

--

Chuck Goolsbee                          V.P. Technical Operations
digital.forest                      Phone: +1-877-720-0483, x2001
Bothell, WA 98011                            email: cg at forest.net