Cross-country shipping of large network/computer gear?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Aug 27 18:37:46 UTC 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Matthew Zito wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone could provide any advice or suggestions on
> shipping heavy/bulky equipment (~300 pounds, about a half-rack worth of
> gear) on short notice cross-country?  We're obviously looking to minimize
> cost, but realistically it can't be in transit for more than two days.  Are
> there any companies or methods people would recommend?  Thanks in advance
> for the help.

FedEx, or Forward Air.

FedEx - Door-to-door, reliable, easy to do business with.

Forward Air - Terminal to terminal.  You deliver it to their facility near
an airport, they deliver it to a terminal near the destination airport.
This means that you need guys and a truck at both ends.  A bit more trouble
than FedEx to do business with.  You'll typically need to palletize your
gear.

http://www.fedex.com/
http://www.forwardair.com/

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/