relays.osirusoft.com

Margie margie at mail-abuse.org
Wed Aug 27 15:33:15 UTC 2003

--On Wednesday, August 27, 2003 7:53 AM -0400 jlewis at lewis.org wrote:

> Mail was delayed (and servers put under heavy load waiting for DNS
> queries to time out) when MAPS finally shut off free access
> without warning (a week or more after they originally had warned
> they'd do it, but gave everyone an extension when there was
> massive public outcry and they were unable to keep up with
> inquiries about buying access).

Point of clarification - In early to mid July, we gave notice we were
securing the zones at the end of July.  Starting August 1 we used
"deny" ACLs based on the IP addresses making the largest number of
queries - and we emailed domain contacts for those. The "deny" ACL
was not changed to an "allow" ACL until October 1 - over 10 weeks
after we announced the zones would close. That is hardly "without
warning", nor was it because of public outcry.  (The part about not
being able to keep up with inquiries was definitely true, but I did
learn that sleep is highly overrated <g>.)

At no time did we return positive answers for IP addresses that were
not listed. Two years after the fact, we *still* get tens of
thousands of queries a day from IP addresses that are not subscribed.