Force Majeure

Ian Mason nanog at ian.co.uk
Tue Aug 26 02:08:19 UTC 2003

At 01:34 26/08/2003, Randy Bush wrote:

> > In the opinion of folks on this list, did the recent power
> > failure in the northeast (started 8/14 and lasted several days in
> > some places) constitute a force majeure event?

The question is 'force majeure' from whose point of view? If the electric
company blacks out my office for two days, at a site I'm not committed to
24x7 operation then, yes if a customer asks why I haven't done something I
say 'force majeure'. If I'm claiming on my insurance for the wrecked
contents of my freezer at home and my insurers claim the same I laugh and
say 'see you in court' (at which time they usually capitulate rapidly.)

>you have mistaken the nanog list for a legal consulting service.
>we are geeks, not lawyers, and most of us are not even foolish
>enough to play at being lawyers on the net.

This is of course, rubbish. Geeks *love* to be barrack room lawyers. In
fact Randy,
I've sat next to you at dinner and heard you doing it. :-)