[Re: Lazy Engineers and Viable Excuses]

Joshua Sahala joshua.ej.smith at usa.net
Tue Aug 26 01:21:35 UTC 2003

Joe Abley <jabley at isc.org> wrote:
[cut]
> .. if everybody used the IRR to build explicit filters everywhere, if
> everybody kept their objects in the IRR up-to-date, and if there was
> some appropriate authorisation scheme in place to allow you to trust
> the data in the IRR implicitly, it'd be a perfect world.

not perfect, you would still need to filter at the customer ingress,
making sure that they weren't spoofing a 'properly registered route
object' that wasn't part of the aup that they had signed....they did
sign an aup right???

> The IRR is currently a reasonable tool to use to avoid listening to
> routes which are advertised by mistake from peers who populate the IRR
> accurately. It's not a reasonable tool for avoiding maliciously bogus
> routes, since sticking maliciously bogus information in the IRR is
> trivial.

trivial yes, but it would be nice if there was at least a minimal effort
to filter unregistered route objects, especially on transit from certain
regions of the world....we can deal with the registration issue
separately.

/joshua

> Joe

"Walk with me through the Universe,
 And along the way see how all of us are Connected.
 Feast the eyes of your Soul,
 On the Love that abounds.
 In all places at once, seemingly endless,
 Like your own existence."
     - Stephen Hawking -