DSL restrictions for CLECs?

Len Sassaman rabbi at quickie.net
Tue Aug 26 00:27:36 UTC 2003

Sorry for the somewhat off-topic post, but I figured this was the best
place to ask.

I've been trying to get a new DSL installation in my apartment complex.
After being told by Covad that I was unable to get ADSL through them, even
though I was only 13K feet from the CO, I called SBC to find out what the
problem with my line was.

After two days of talking to people of widely varying clue levels at SBC,
this is what I've learned:

I'm on a digital pair gain line out of a local RT. There are nothing but
DPG lines run from the CO -- copper is not, and never was, an option for
this neighborhood. SBC will not allow CLECs to access their DPG lines
either in the CO or in the RT -- "use the copper" is the response.

Is this standard practice? Is this legal? I am basically in a situation
where DSL availability should be a non-issue, except that SBC/Yahoo! has
constructed a scenario where they are the only possible provider due to
their decision to replace copper pair with DPG, and to refuse to allow
CLEC DSLAMs on the DPG lines.

What are the options for the CLECs that want to provide DSL, particularly
if this practice continues and last mile DPG lines with local RTs becomes
standard?

--Len.