Lazy Engineers and Viable Excuses

Rob Thomas robt at cymru.com
Mon Aug 25 22:29:23 UTC 2003

Hi, NANOGers.

] If folks were to implement explicit prefix filtering
] *everywhere* it wouldn't be necessary to filter only
] bogons and other miscellany explicitly.

Agreed!  Simple edge filters make this problem go away.  While
I and the rest of Team Cymru are happy to provide this service,
we will gladly find other things to do if folks ubiquitously
employ edge prefix filters.  :)  We attempt to convey this sort
of thing in our templates.  If folks need assistance building
their filters, feel free to ping on us.  We charge only the
occasional cup of coffee.  :)

   <http://www.cymru.com/Documents/secure-bgp-template.html>
   <http://www.qorbit.net/documents/junos-bgp-appnote.htm>

] ...no offense Rob, I'm pretty sure our beliefs are aligned here :-).

None taken, I completely agree.

Thanks,
Rob, not just the "bogon guy."  :)
--