Microsoft distributes free CDs in Japan to patch Windows

Roland Perry nanog at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Aug 25 16:17:41 UTC 2003

In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0308251657520.26400-100000 at MrServer>, Stephen
J. Wilcox <steve at telecomplete.co.uk> writes
>my perception of the past couple of weeks is that they are the busiest that i've
>ever seen for abuse activity (including filtering our own traffic and getting
>customers to fix their broken machines). and yet i'm seeing nothing in the way
>of media interest etc, when melissa came out a couple years ago it was on the
>news for a week.. did they get bored of covering "yet another computer virus" ?

That's because things only (normally) get in the news if there's someone
trying very hard to get it in the news. They will often have their own
agenda. At the same time there are people paid large sums to make sure
certain things *don't* get in the news. And then you have to factor in
how hungry the media are for something extra to stop the adverts from
bumping into one another [1]. Therefore reality, and "what's in the
news", are rarely the same.

[1] A couple of weeks ago, the only, and I mean *only* story, reported
by many USA news stations was the blackouts. Nothing else got a look-in.
--
Roland Perry