Rules and Regs for a LEC's and Non LEC's

Aaron D. Britt flip at deru.com
Tue Aug 19 21:29:21 UTC 2003

I am considering transporting back-up traffic through a non-LEC for a
possible DR design initiative using a couple DS3 transfer arrangements
that terminate through a 3rd parties network full time, allowing that
same 3rd party to redirect these same ports, during a disaster, to
various hot sites within their domain.

I was told by various sources that unless the vendor of my choosing is a
LEC of some sort, they cannot back-haul production traffic as a private
network, and that this is a FCC restriction regarding LEC licensing for
traffic/long distance etc.  These various sources do not have actual
data to substantiate these claims, but have created enough questions in
my mind to research this subject further.

Does anyone have any good information regarding these FCC rules and
regs?  I am mainly concerned with the limitations set upon private
networks to back-haul production traffic internationally.  There is some
legal grey area here, that I do not wish to tread on without some facts
or at least some pointers in the right directions to research these
claims appropriately.

Very interesting stuff here, and I am not able to get any nibbles from
google, hoping that someone here might have some 'blues clues' they
would like to share.

-Aaron