Why do you use Netflow

Jason Frisvold friz at corp.ptd.net
Tue Aug 19 20:32:47 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 16:12, Jack Bates wrote:
> Number one use for netflow, scan detections. I detect most users
> infected with a virus before remote networks can auto-gen a report. I
> also detect mail being sent from various customer machines. High volume
> traffic flags me so I can investigate if it's spam or not.

Cool.. I never thought of using it for this...

> I can tell you (well, I won't without a court order, but I could) the
> username, or customer name (if static), of every worm infected user on
> my network at any given point in time. 50+ inactive flows for an IP
> address is definite worm sign. If you want to be more specific, do
> sequential scan checks on the flow data. Has been very useful in dealing
> with Blaster.

Worm Sign...  Dune...  Cool :)

We used ip accounting the other night to detect and disable a large
number of worm infected users that took out the router completely..  I
think net flow would have been too much overhead at the time...  Once we
were down to a more manageable number of infected users, we used netflow
to pinpoint them immediately...  (Note, we don't leave netflow on all
the time)

> Netflow is particularly useful when utilizing NAT, as it's much easier
> to collected netflow data than translation tables.
>
> On a cold, boring day, you can setup aggregates and generate cute little
> statistics for all sorts of things, and I hear it's useful in some
> scenarios.

Sounds like fun...  I wish I had slow boring days...  *grin*

--
---------------------------
Jason H. Frisvold
friz at corp.ptd.net
RedHat Engineer - RHCE # 807302349405893
Cisco Certified - CCNA # CSCO10151622
MySQL Core Certified - ID# 205982910
"Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles
the world."
      -- Albert Einstein [1879-1955]