power failure causes and effects

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Fri Aug 15 06:36:50 UTC 2003

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Mehmet Akcin wrote:

> I have been hearing on the TV that some places that had power failure have
> started getting their power back, reporters say hopefully by the morning all
> of the places where had power failure will back online.

In NYC it seems like either some places are running out of battery or
diesel.  For example I see L3 at 111 8th up fine as well as Focal at 32
Old Slip.  However one of my upstreams at L3, Hurricane Electric, dropped
off for a while.  After about 10 minutes they were alive again but rather
than the normal path out via He->MFN, they were using a L3 connection.  So
whatever was tying some of their sites together went dark.

Additionnaly, I just got a flood of outage notifications from Covad all
RFO "power outage".  So either VZ is not running gensets or they shed
CLECs first (nahh....).

On another note, half of my NY Metro DirecTV stations are gone.  I have no
idea what the path is from studio -> DTV, but I assume they don't pull it
off the air.

Charles