The impending DDoS storm

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Fri Aug 15 03:02:08 UTC 2003

Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Jason Frisvold wrote:
>>If the blaster cannot get a proper DNS response, it continues to
>>replicate via port 135... It then goes into a retry cycle and continues
>>to try to get a good DNS lookup.

> has anyone tried tarpitting eg labrea to slow the worm?

Oh yeah, LaBrea sticks 'em *REAL* good...

> LaBrea::Tarpit SOURCE IP's
> 15223 total threads captured, from these 109 IP addresses

LaBrea makes it look like the exploit worked, and it hangs up the worm
trying to send the command to 4444.  Thread counts get as high as 2546
(as of now) which is 10x the subnet block where the tarpit lives.
Had more like 30K threads until this morning when we had a power outage
that outlived my small UPS so the numbers above are since ~9:30 EST this
morning.

Jeff