Battery lifetimes RE: East Coast outage?

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Fri Aug 15 00:00:59 UTC 2003

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> Although our main office here has generator power, what do all the
> intermediary unmanaged network sites typically have for DC power along the
> way ?  One of my local fibre providers told me that the remote hut we are
> off of only will last until about 9:30pm tonight and then bye bye.  Is that
> typical to have 6hrs battery ?  I am sure its all over the map from
> provider to provider, but does anyone know what Bell Canada (my other local
> loop provider) typical aims for in terms of battery power for remote huts ?

Of course it varies from location to location.  Generally, after 8-12
hours we will start seeing infrastructure problems as remote batteries
run down.  Providers will be re-charging batteries with portable
generators, but predicting battery lifetimes is as much art as science.
Sometimes the battery doesn't last as long as predicted.