Power outage in North East

Phil Clarke phil at vampire-slayers.com
Thu Aug 14 21:27:31 UTC 2003

N. Richard Solis wrote:

> I just got off the phone with an old boss of mine.  ;-)  It would appear
> that there is a large fire at a ConEd plant that has now caused a
> cascading power outage in the Northeast.  Some more plants may have
> tripped offline because of the load they absorbed from the loss of the
> other plant.

The state power official on CNN has just been saying that ConEd shut
itself down automatically after something that happened on the Niagara
Mohawk power grid that caused the spikes down across the areas affected.

They are saying that the black smoke was normal and it isn't on fire.

It is certainly on most of the news channels here in the UK at the moment..

Hope the restoration goes speedily for anyone and everyone here who is
directly affected or has friends and family that are..