firewall == network diaper, ranting in HTML

neal rauhauser 402-301-9555 neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Thu Aug 14 16:15:52 UTC 2003

   I've got to wonder about someone who posts a rant to nanog to begin
with and I'll give you kudos for having the balls to format it in HTML
as well. Below I included the text of the message sans large aqua font &
other HTML 'enhancements'.

   I think you rather missed my point - machines with incontinent TCP/IP
stacks or incontinent applications should not be plugged in to the
internet for server duty. It is just that simple. Unix has its
occasional dribbles, Microsoft needs to be restrained and catheterized.

  Cisco could make one giant leap for mankind by simply renaming the PIX
Firewall to the PIX Network Diaper. Its a more truthful description of
what those things do and it might just get the people who sign checks
asking why applications straight out of preschool are being placed in
the field with a MCWN+N(Microsoft Certified Wet Nurse + Nanny) to watch
over them, when perfectly functional adult alternatives exist.

  I'd really like to get down and roll in the muck with you guys, but
I'm busying replacing M$ systems with FreeBSD 4.8 ...