How much longer..

Crist Clark crist.clark at globalstar.com
Wed Aug 13 19:56:10 UTC 2003

Fred Baker wrote:

> At 12:53 PM 8/13/2003 -0500, Ejay Hire wrote:
> >I don't care what defective operating system a worm uses.
>
> Yes. Lets recall that the first worm on the net was a sendmail worm, and
> attacked UNIX systems. I'm no friend of Windows either, but a little
> humility is in order. Windows is attacked because it is ubiquitous, not
> because it is vulnerable. If the whole world ran Linux, the attacks would
> be on Linux machines.

Attacks _are_ on Linux machines. There have been Linux worms, Lion attacked
BIND, Ramen attacked rpc.statd and wu-ftpd, Slapper attached Apache, to
name a few. Attacks are on Solaris, the sadmin/IIS worm (which also attacked
IIS, a cross-platform worm, remember that, cool, huh?). Attacks are on FreeBSD,
Scalper worm attacked Apache.

How soon people seem to forget these things.

To pound it home one more time, worms that attack Microsoft products are a
bigger deal only because Microsoft has at least an order of magnitude greater
installbase than the nearest competitor.
Crist J. Clark                               crist.clark at globalstar.com
Globalstar Communications                                (408) 933-4387

The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential,
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.
If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this e-mail in error, please contact postmaster at globalstar.com