Private port numbers?

Crist Clark crist.clark at globalstar.com
Wed Aug 13 19:38:22 UTC 2003

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> Be damned if you filter, be damned if you don't. Nice choice.
>
> I think it's time that we set aside a range of port numbers for private
> use. That makes all those services that have no business escaping out
> in the open extremely easy to filter, while at the same time not
> impacting any legitimate users.

Cool. So if you use private ports, you'll be totally protected from the
Internet nasties (and the Internet protected from your broken or malicious
traffic) in the same way RFC1918 addressing does the exact same thing now
at the network layer.

I'm sure everyone will filter private ports just as effectively as RFC1918
and martian addresses are filtered at borders now.

Can't wait to read the draft and RFC. Rock on.
Crist J. Clark                               crist.clark at globalstar.com