RPC errors

Crist Clark crist.clark at globalstar.com
Tue Aug 12 17:53:20 UTC 2003

"Dominic J. Eidson" wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Jack Bates wrote:
>
> > Sean Donelan wrote:
> >
> > > http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-08-11
> > > The worm uses the RPC DCOM vulnerability to propagate. One it finds a
> > > vulnerable system, it will spawn a shell and use it to download the actual
> > > worm via tftp.
> > >
> > > The name of the binary is msblast.exe. It is packed with UPX and will self
> > > extract. The size of the binary is about 11kByte unpacked, and 6kBytes
> > > packed:
>
> Has anyone seen/heard of this virus propagating through email in any way?
>
> We appear to have been infected on a network that is very heavily
> firewalled from the outside, and are trying to track down possibly entry
> methods the worm might have had...

Haven't heard of that.

Dial-up?

VPN?

Notebook that goes home at night or on the road, attaches to Internet or
other hostile network, then comes in and connects up to your network the
next business day?
Crist J. Clark                               crist.clark at globalstar.com
Globalstar Communications                                (408) 933-4387

The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential,
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.
If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received this e-mail in error, please contact postmaster at globalstar.com