RPC errors

Mark Segal MSegal at Corporate.FCIBroadband.com
Mon Aug 11 22:32:37 UTC 2003

I just put an access list on one of our cores with some spare cpu cycles..
And 10% of the traffic looks like port 135 calls.....  Anyone else see this?
Did I break anything legitimate?

Also I still some Slammer traffic..

Mark

--
Mark Segal
Director, Network Planning
FCI Broadband
Tel: 905-284-4070
Fax: 416-987-4701
http://www.fcibroadband.com

Futureway Communications Inc. is now FCI Broadband

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Damm [mailto:MikeD at irwinresearch.com]
Sent: August 11, 2003 6:19 PM
To: 'Drew Weaver'
Cc: 'nanog at merit.edu'
Subject: RE: RPC errors

According to Symantec it doesn't know if the system has already been
infected until it is running on the target machine, at which point the RPC
crash is imminent. It shouldn't re-infect, but further attempts from other
infected hosts will cause random reboots.

On the plus side this one will be much easier to clean up than CodeRed,
Nimda, etc. Random J. Clueless might actually look for patches if his box is
rebooting on a regular basis.

	-Mike

---
Michael Damm, MIS Department, Irwin Research & Development