[connie.davis at mail.internetseer.com: answerpointe.cctec.com]

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Sat Aug 9 20:26:51 UTC 2003

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003, Eric Germann wrote:

> As the owner of answerpointe, I think it would be a shame to kill it because
> it does get a significant number of hits with legitimate searches.
> Stripping emails would seem to make it impossible to make inquiries of the
> collective knowledge of NANOG. Whether its webcrawling answerpointe or
> Ftp'ing the archive from MERIT, the net result is the same.
>
> You also have the sporadic people who say "for whatever reason, I said
> something on NANOG I shouldn't have because now that I am unemployed from a
> dot bomb, when I try to get a job, they search the web and these stupid
> posts I made show up in your archive and can you remove them so I can get a
> job???"  I explain to them the concept of an an archive.
>
> Whats the collective voice of NANOG say, keep it or kill it?

It is likely that anyone who has posted to NANOG for any length of time
also has his/her email address strewn throughout the 'net in numerous
places where spammers troll.  I'd keep it as is.  Archives are a good
resource and help to keep the noise ratio down.

One option would be to make the archives only available to the members
of the list.  This gets tricky as some form of authentication would then
be needed and it's difficult unless the archive and the list are under
the same administrative entity.

A quick google seems to indicate that internetseer are well-known and
persistent spammers, and they've hit several spamtraps of ours.  Giving
them a static route to null0 wouldn't be a bad thing.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/