Network Solutions and Broken E-mail Addresses

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ab.ca
Sat Aug 9 03:29:00 UTC 2003

--On Friday, August 8, 2003 5:56 PM -0700 "Jeremy T. Bouse"
<Jeremy.Bouse at UnderGrid.net> wrote:

> 	Unfortunately I'd have to say NetSol is not alone on this as a
> vast majority of the sites I've had to enter an email address will not
> accept a user+detail at domain format... I find it to be quite annoying
> that I can use the format as it helps with filtering of email and is
> completely valid according to the current RFCs wrt mail.

John Klensin has an internet-draft out that addresses this issue. See
section 3 of draft-klensin-name-filters-02.txt. I don't know if this will
be any more useful than RFC 2822 when it comes to bashing the clueless over
the head, but every bit helps, I guess.

I find that when I complain about this sort of thing I have about a 20%
success rate in getting the problem fixed. Something I've found to be
helpful is to offer the site an ERE I wrote that does (mostly correct)
validation of RFC 2822 addresses. If the site is running UNIX they'll
usually incorporate the ERE into their validation software.

--lyndon