Complaint of the week: Ebay abuse mail (slightly OT)

Jason Robertson jason at ifuture.com
Mon Aug 4 16:48:10 UTC 2003

Also the fact that the transition time would require many companies to
run 2 or more protocols.  And simply put the majority of SMTP isn't
bad, if fully implemented as a single standard and implemented by
vendors and developers.

But the idea isn't bad, but may have massive cost additions, if you are
going to authenticate servers, we would basically be better off to run
a FIDONET netmail configuration, where you must register to a
controlling party, but then that may mean a monthly charge.

Though I do have my own proposal sitting ontop of SMTP, and used
initially as something to determine the level of filtering to do, it
would reduce requirements on dns queries to various rbl's.

It will also validate headers and each host along the way.

Another thing that I am putting in the ID.. is standard error message
formats, it would make life easier for maillist owners, there is one
mail server that sends back only the account name of an invalid
mailbox, without a domain or email address to help even figure which
message failed.

Jason