North America not interested in IP V6

Ray Wong rayw at rayw.net
Sat Aug 2 20:15:38 UTC 2003

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 09:43:45PM +0200, Niels Bakker wrote:

> BUT: I don't think Chris and me were thinking about big bad ugly LANs
> with customers attached indiscriminately, though.  With DSL provisioning
> systmes using RFC1483 bridged (do I have my buzzwords correct here?) the

Correct RFC, close enough.

> DHCP server can discriminate between customers based on VCI/VPI numbers
> instead, negating the need to look at the MAC address of the request.

Note the exlusive conditions presented by the position you defend and your
own.  The point being, relying on MAC address is a problematic idea.
Yes, you could configure an address based on the PVC; Redbacks even like
being configured that way. BTDT.  There are still any number of situations
whereby you will get grumpy customers loading up your support lines with
"problems."

> > Who was it that said, "if you can't identify at least 3 new problems
> > introduced by any solution, you don't understand the situation?"
>
> Or you don't understand ours.  After all, it's currently all getting
> done already this way.

The question is of specific versus general cases.  Not seeing the drawbacks
because you can cite a place where something is successful does not solve
the problem for everyone else.

In reality, this is not a technical problem, hence there is no way to win.

--

Ray Wong
rayw at rayw.net