Class "B" IP BLOCK

william at elan.net william at elan.net
Wed Apr 30 20:54:44 UTC 2003

PSI was sold for 10 million and it had quite a few more stuff then just /8,
just customers alone were 10M in yearly revenue, plus to that equipment,
peering agreements (cogent was after this the most I'd guess), fiber, etc.
In fact I doubt if 38/8 played any significant role in decision by cogent
to buy psi or if it was considered important enough asset to actually be
part when coming with total amount.

As for /16 I would be seriously surprised if the price for it is at 250k
as has been mentioned. If somebody really needs those ips and can justify
that, they can go to arin and /16 would be $5000/year. Since the ip block
of that "for sale /16" that initiated this thread was out of legacy ip
space, there are no maintanance fee charges on it and you save that $5000/year.
But since most ISPs are valued at one year of their revenue, similar should
apply here, so value of the company that only has /16 (out of legacy
space) would be $5,000 - $10,000 and nowhere close to reported 200k - I
would expect that message with that price has been a big big lie to raise
initial bid and get rid of those who were offering 10k so leaving only
highier then normal bidders.